- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 over-ripe bananas (mashed)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl: mix the oil & sugar. Then add eggs and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl mix water, vinegar, vanilla, & bananas
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, & salt
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and wet ingredients to the oil, sugar, egg mixture.
- Bake at 300 F in a 4×8 loaf pan, low heat, for 1-1.5 hours. You should be able to insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread and have it come out clean.
Sometimes quick breads collapse in the middle when you bake them, even when sticking strictly to the recipe. If this happens, you probably have used old baking soda/powder that is no longer activating as a leavening agent, or you took it out too soon. If you have a probe thermometer the internal temperature should be 190 F before you take it out.
You will also be tempted to combine steps when mixing the quick bread, I urge you not to. The method here is tested, tried, and true, and gives a good result. By alternating ingredients and mixing it in steps you are keeping it light.